I’m a serious hot chocolate lover and the older I get, the darker I like it. For years I’ve used no sugar added Nesquick. I like the flavor, but wasn’t too keen on the long list of unidentifiable ingredients.
No sugar added Nesquick ingredients:
INGREDIENTS: COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, REDUCED MINERALS WHEY(FROM MILK), MALTODEXTRIN, SOY LECITHIN, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, SUCRALOSE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (NON-NUTRITIVE SWEETENER), SPICE. VITAMINS AND MINERALS: CALCIUM CARBONATE, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), ZINC OXIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), COPPER GLUCONATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, BIOTIN.
Last week I went on a quest to make the cocoa habit a bit healthier. After some experimentation, I came up with this recipe that is not too sweet and not too bitter. You might want to adjust the amounts of cocoa and/or stevia to suit your taste.
- 1-1/2 C non-fat dry milk
- 3/4 C + 2 T dark cocoa
- 1-1/4 C Stevia in the Raw
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a blender. Process for one or two minutes until well blended.
- Pour into an airtight container.
- To use mix 1/3 C of powder to 8 ounces hot water. (I use a blender to get it smooth.)
- Heat for 1 minute in the microwave.
- If desired, add a drop of mint, vanilla, almond, or other extract.